Workplace Learning and Assessment (WLA) - Pedagogical Methods and Assessment
15:00 - 17:00
Online - Microsoft Teams
Medium of Instruction :
Mode of Study :
MS03 - PART-TIME DAY RELEASE
About the Event :
Learning by doing gives the students a deeper knowledge through real-world tasks and problems. In this work-based learning, students combine versatile learning methods, for example, Active Learning and Problem-based Learning. A workplace tutor supported by a VET college will guide and assess the student's learning at the workplace.
The workshop covers the following content:
- Learning by doing
- Working in small groups, working in pairs and individual guidance
- Carrying out training in school's own learning environments that are like workplaces, e.g. building maintenance and restaurants
- How assessment of students is carried out at workplaces?
- Assessment and feedback as a part of learning
- Use of self-evaluation or peer evaluation in learning
- Sharing best practices of assessment at workplaces
Ms Katja Koskinen, Project Manager, Luovi Vocational College, Finland
Ms Mari Kontturi, Manager of International Affairs, Luovi Vocational College, Finland (Chair)
The Finnish Experts are from Luovi Vocational College, Live Vocational College and Spesia Vocational College which operate as a consortium. The colleges all have a significant history in work-based vocational training ever since 1905. Altogether there are 4300 young and adult students in the colleges. The aim has always been to enable students to apply knowledge and skills in a practical way. Learning thus takes place in real-life situations and workplaces.
The Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture granted Luovi Vocational College The Quality Award of Vocational Education and Training in 2017. They achieved EFQM Recognised for Excellence 4 Star in 2014.
They are experienced in
Intended Learning Outcomes :
On completion of the workshop, participants would be able to:
– discuss some pedagogical methods and assessments used in work-based learning; and
– reflect on how they could enhance their pedagogical methods and assessments in the process.
Target Audience :
All VTC teaching staff
Ms FAN Hin Yi, Chantal